Sunday 6 November 2016

Chelsea OnAir: Creating my First Class OnAir Episode

Last week we prepared ourselves for our first Class OnAir episode.  Class OnAir has been created in response to the question - how do we teach in a digital 1:1 learning environment?  This year Class OnAir follows five talented teachers from the Manaiakalani cluster of schools.  They film episodes which provides insight into how Manaiakalani teachers use technology in their every-day teaching.  Click on the link to learn more and watch the Class OnAir teacher's in action.

What's in a Class OnAir episode


  • Videos of the lesson
  • Overview of lesson
  • Link to detailed plan
  • Relfections and next steps
  • Links to learners activities and blog posts


A while ago we explored the Class OnAir site and provided feedback to the teachers involved. Now it is the MDTA BTs turn to have a go!  We had Matt Goodwin come in and give us some helpful tips for creating a class OnAir episode.


My first episode


I chose to create my OnAir episode about Haiku poetry.  Over the past four weeks my classroom has thoroughly enjoyed our unit on figurative language, so I thought this would be a great opportunity to see if they could use their learning in a new context - Haiku poetry.


I filmed my lesson this week.  The filming is the easy part.  To start with it is a little unusual to be filming myself as a teacher.  However myself and my learners did relax as time went on.  Editing is very time consuming - it is hard to decide which parts are valuable and which can be culled.  I have almost finished editing and my Class OnAir site is pretty much completed.  Stay tuned to see my very first Class OnAir episode!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this update Chelsea. I know you have put a lot of energy into this and look forward to seeing the outcome. It will be a great example of rewindable learning and a record of your teaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy. I am looking forward to giving people an insight into how I teach my learners! It is a bit daunting but it will be good for me to have a practice as I am considering Class OnAir in my third year :)

      Delete

Tell me what you think!